ABOUT CLEAN ENERGY WORKS
Clean Energy Works was founded in 2016 with the mission of seeking financing solutions for an inclusive clean energy economy. We provide advisory support and thought leadership on inclusive investment as well as support for champions for equity in energy-related organizing networks. Clean Energy Works is a remote, nonprofit organization with staff and consultants based in the United States and abroad.
Clean Energy Works connects champions of energy efficiency, renewable energy, and economic inclusion with resources to accelerate investment in clean energy solutions such as electric buses, solar panels, and building energy efficiency upgrades. We provide advisory services to policy-makers, public interest groups, and companies interested in rapidly scaling up investment in the clean energy economy. Clean Energy Works promotes competitive, market-based approaches that clear barriers preventing access to clean energy solutions, opening the clean energy economy to all. Our work is located both in the United States and internationally, primarily within Latin America.
The development/fundraising consultant will be responsible for creating a comprehensive plan and strategies to support the growth of Clean Energy Works. As a result of organizational effectiveness and strategic planning processes, Clean Energy Works has programmatic goals in place that require the expansion of our funding pipeline. Currently, nearly all of our funding comes from private foundations and a small number of individual major donors. We seek a consultant who can help our organization increase funding from known sources and to tap into funding sources which we may not yet have identified or accessed.
The ideal candidate is committed to the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and can help us develop and implement a fundraising plan to support the growth of our organization while also lifting up our allies in the field. Consultant should have a track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders.
Clean Energy Works envisions this position as a remote, part-time consultancy for 12 months with a total contract not to exceed $60,000.00.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
SCOPE OF WORK
GOAL 1: Develop a fundraising strategy to support current needs of the organization with an eye to continued growth. Strategy should be developed in close coordination with the Executive Director and other members of the Clean Energy Works Team, including board members, selected stakeholders, and other engaged consultants.
- Assess Clean Energy Works’s current fundraising efforts, board and staff expectations, current skills and capacity, and environmental context for fundraising utilizing past documents and plans and limited interviews with current Clean Energy Works staff, program consultants, board members, and a proposed number of current funding stakeholders. This includes a SWOT analysis to assess:
- Strengths and weaknesses of existing fundraising efforts, staff skills and capacity, and organizational infrastructure to determine areas for improvement and development.
- External opportunities and threats as well as Clean Energy Works’s readiness to carry out new fundraising work.
- How Clean Energy Works works with and endeavors to support partner organizations in the field.
- Develop a fundraising/development plan to build a fundraising program that a) at least doubles our annual revenue, b) aligns with Clean Energy Works’s strategic plan, and c) builds on our current capacity to execute and sustain funding pipeline.
- Develop a comprehensive fundraising plan with strategies and tactics to increase Clean Energy Works’s fundraising efforts from both existing and newly identified revenue sources and donors.
- Identify roles for board members and senior management staff, and how best to develop a fundraising culture.
- Identify best suited Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and metrics to track our progress and support continuous improvement.
- Consult and collaborate as needed with Clean Energy Works’s Communications consultants to ensure alignment in messaging, including support for digital communication strategy for target donors.
- Identify strategies for fundraising partnerships with and support of peer organizations in the ecosystem.
- Research highly qualified prospects and identify a list of new, vetted high potential donors.
- Provide recommendations to close the organization’s fundraising competency and capacity gap moving forward and to ensure effective implementation of the fundraising plan (technology, internal systems, policies and procedures, staffing, etc.).
GOAL 2: Lead implementation of the development plan with support from other Clean Energy Works team members
- Present the fundraising plan to the senior management team and Board.
- Test strategies with at least 4 vetted high potential donors. Engage in initial contact and schedule meetings with Clean Energy Works Executive Director and Managing Director. Attend donor meetings and provide feedback to improve the management team’s performance. Plan and prepare for funder meetings and ensure prompt follow-up to all inquiries and other communications.
- Provide skills building training and guidance to board members and senior management staff.
- Create a set of collateral materials for presentations to prospects (slide deck, infographics, etc) in collaboration with Communications consultants as needed. Make recommendations on how to more systematically cultivate and provide information and updates to foundation program officers and other potential funders.
- Ensure Clean Energy Works has an effective database to track and manage our fundraising efforts, based on assessment of our current system.
- Prepare progress reports that include Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and metrics.
- Write and/or edit narrative content for LOIs, proposals and reports for which Clean Energy Works has been invited to apply in order to increase likelihood of initial award and renewals.